ARE YOU WEARING A MASK?
The picture above captures the mentality of too many people…people who wear a smile, but the face behind the smile is just the opposite… sometimes anger, sometimes sadness and sometimes hate. The word for such behavior is “hypocrisy.” What does the word really mean?
Hypocrisy is “the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one’s own behavior does not conform; pretense.” It reveals itself in many ways, the list is endless. How does one deal with it?
WEB SURFING PROVIDED A LIST
- Ignore everyone and act only based on your own moral compass.
- Avoid condemning others.
- Identify context and how it changes the way you think.
- Reserve judgment until you’ve actually experienced something.
- Practice integrity.
- Never make promises.
- Avoid positions of power.
- Keep cool and don’t lose your temper.
- Let it go…if possible.
- Leave the conversation without causing an uproar.
- Ignore it until you have proof of its hypocrisy.
- Confront the person in a respectful manner.
- Use “I” statements when expressing yourself…not making disagreed personal to the other person.
HANDLING YOUR HYPOCRISY
- Know what is truly good and truly bad.
- Demonstrate fairness by choosing the greater good over the lesser good in each situation.
- Profess what you are willing to practice, and practice only what is good.
- Acknowledge your own shortcomings when appropriate; pride is the disease of the soul.
- Redress wrongs that you have caused, whether you did so intentionally or otherwise.